Executive Director, Personnel Board of Jefferson County - Birmingham, Alabama, United States (On-site)
The Executive Director of the Personnel Board of Jefferson County directs the operations of an independent organization responsible for a civil service system comprised of twenty-two separate agencies/municipalities with over 8,000 employees within Jefferson County, Alabama. The Executive Director is responsible for guiding the day-to-day planning, organizing, directing, and coordination of activities of the Personnel Board and its various divisions, including Applicant Services, Classification and Compensation, Employee Relations, Training and Organizational Development, Employment Testing, and Information Services. Working under the authority of a Three-Member Board appointed by civic leaders, the Executive Director sets policy and strategic short and long-term goals and objectives for the organization, and assigns, supervises, and evaluates the work of professional staff members. The Executive Director accomplishes work through close coordination and collaboration with a team of division managers, establishing work plans to address complex business issues and management practices and processes that ensure the organization effectively and professionally serves its customers.
The Personnel Board’s mission is to establish and facilitate a model merit (civil service) system that enhances the employment and development of government employees through innovative, efficient, and effective human resources practices that firmly uphold our values and comply with applicable laws.
The Personnel Board strives to achieve its mission by adhering to and promoting the following Merit System values:
Professional values - Serve professionally with dedication, competence, and efficiency.
Ethical values - Act ethically, reliably, and with integrity so as to uphold public trust.
Civic values - Pursue public interest with accountability and transparency.
Human values - Demonstrate respect, compassion, dignity and fairness in dealings with citizens and fellow public servants.
Excellent & Highly Competitive Benefits
Our employees enjoy long-term employment with reliable benefits. We offer our employees a strong benefits package with options that truly work for all and meet the needs of our employees.
- Comprehensive medical benefits with low copays, low deductibles, and high levels of coverage after 30 days of employment for self and eligible dependents
- Dental and Vision insurance plans after 30 days of employment for self and eligible dependents
- Term Life Insurance and Voluntary Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance for self and eligible dependents
- Optional Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
- Disability benefit options such as Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability
- Supplemental insurance options such as Group Accident, Group Critical Illness, and Group Hospital Indemnity
- General Retirement System (Pension) enrollment
- Paid vacation, paid sick leave, and paid holidays
- Deferred Compensation
- Master’s Degree in Industrial-Organizational Psychology, Human Resources, Business Administration, or a closely related field
- Experience managing a large (15 or more people) division or organization that provides human resources services to multiple departments or agencies
- Responsibility for an organizational budget of at least $8 million
- Experience driving strategic innovations for an organization
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders and political entities to ensure compliance with legal statutes and system rules
- Experience overseeing through subordinate managers/supervisors the operations of several of the following: employment selection, recruiting, classification and compensation, information technology, employee relations, and training
- Experience in establishing, reviewing the legality of, and managing contracts with external vendors
- Ph.D. in Industrial-Organizational Psychology
- Experience gaining progressive levels of responsibility working in a civil service organization providing human resources services to multiple agencies
For more information about this opportunity, the Personnel Board, and the Birmingham area, please follow this link.
If you are Interested and qualified, please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.