Join GLEAN for the 2018 Spring Event:
The Test Development Cycle: Best Practices for Every Step of the Way
Friday, April 27, 2018
8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Central Ohio Area Agency on Aging
3776 South High Street
Columbus, OH 43207
Download Event Flyer
This full-day workshop will provide beginner-to-intermediate-level practitioners with information about test development and validation for both quality and defensibility. The overall objective is to help participants become more-educated consumers of tests for a variety of purposes, including selection, licensure, certification, and training. Over the course of the day, participants will go through each major step of the test development cycle to review best practices, with a highlight on the activities performed at each step and the outputs produced. As time permits, participants will take part in exercises that will help them apply the knowledge and skills discussed.
Once you have registered, you will be asked to write a test item (multiple-choice, a writing prompt, a work sample task, etc.) and email it to the presenter. These will provide examples to review during the workshop.
Dr. James T. Austin works for the Center on Education and Training for Employment (CETE) at the Ohio State University. He works in test development and delivery for the measurement of technical knowledge and skill.
8:00 AM – 9:00 AM
Registration & Continental Breakfast
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
The morning session will take participants through the early stages of a test development cycle, with a focus on job and test content. Test cycle phases include determining the test’s purpose, conducting the job analysis, creating the test blueprint, and drafting the test items.
12:00 PM – 1:00 PM
Lunch will be provided by Freshbox Catering. During registration, please select your preferred lunchbox. Also, please provide any special instructions for your order (especially if you have allergies).
1:00 PM – 4:30 PM
The afternoon session will continue through the test development cycle, with a focus on test use and maintenance. Test cycle phases include setting cutoffs; creating test forms; analyzing validity, reliability, and fairness; delivering test scores; and maintaining the system.
4:30 PM – 5:00 PM
The day’s presentation will conclude with a wrap-up discussion and brief Q&A session.
5:30 PM – 7:00 PM
Happy Hour! Enjoy a social event with friends and colleagues at Westies Gastropub.
940 S. Front St.
Columbus, OH 43206
(Located near Columbus’ German Village and Brewery District.)
Numerous hotel options are available in the Grove City-South Columbus area. They are conveniently located near the major interstates and are within 15 minutes of the event location.
Lunch Options (select when you register):
Sandwich box meals are served on multigrain bread and come with sea salt kettle chips, a pickle spear, an apple, and a chocolate-covered Oreo. Salad box meals are served with a wedge of ciabatta bread, an apple, and a chocolate-covered Oreo. All dressings are served on the side.
If you have specific dietary needs or allergies, please include any special instructions.
- November Turkey Sandwich Box (turkey, greens, rosemary, provolone, tomato, cranberry chutney)
- Red Caprese Sandwich Box (fresh mozzarella, tomato, roasted red peppers, baby arugula, basil pesto)
- Ham & Swiss Sandwich Box (ham, aged swiss, tomato, greens, honey Dijon)
- Bianca Chicken Sandwich Box (sliced white meat chicken, baby arugula, spicy giardinera relish, creamy herbs de Provence spread)
- Santa Fe Chicken Salad Box (diced chicken breast, mixed greens, pepper jack, tomato, roasted red pepper, black bean corn salsa, chipotle ranch)
- Spring Turkey Salad Box (sliced turkey, mixed greens, provolone, tomato, dried sweet cranberries, cucumber, cranberry citrus dressing)
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Plate Salad Box (roasted red pepper hummus, cucumbers, carrots, tomato; pita wedges for dipping)