THIS IS AN EXCITING OPPORTUNITY FOR RECENT COLLEGE GRADUATES AND CURRENTLY ENROLLED GRADUATE STUDENTS TO APPLY KNOWLEDGE AND BUILD SKILLS IN TEST DEVELOPMENT AND SELECTION WHILE SUPPORTING A PROGRESSIVE LOCAL GOVERNMENT ORGANIZATION IN ARLINGTON COUNTY, VA.
Over the course of a year this intern will work under the supervision of senior staff members to apply knowledge of test measurement theories and best practices to build skills while gaining valuable work experience. This is an opportunity to provide fresh ideas and leverage smart technologies while working towards building a career path in the field of Industrial/Organizational Psychology or Human Resources.
This Recruitment and Selection Analyst Intern will focus on employee selection using a competency-based approach to test development and test administration. The intern will develop and administer public safety Assessment Centers and work simulations. The individual will conduct job analysis, and content and criterion validation studies for a variety of positions in the Fire Department and will also support career and leadership development efforts. This intern will have the opportunity to apply measurement theory, strong analytical and problem solving skills, consulting, and change management strategies to expand the use of valid, defensible, selection processes for a variety of ranks in the Fire Department. This individual should be able to work independently after receiving general guidance and direction and identify greater efficiencies through improved selection processes.
The ideal candidate will have a thorough understanding of the concepts associated with test development and administration and will possess a graduate degree in Industrial/Organizational Psychology or a related field of study.
Online application required.
Minimum: Must have received a Bachelor's or Master's degree within the past year in a directly related area such as Human Resources, Psychology or Industrial Organizational Psychology or be enrolled in a Master's degree program or must complete the requirements for a related Bachelor's or Master's degree before starting work. Expected start date of work is mid-July.
Note: Applicants are not expected to have professional work-related experience in the related field but must possess a thorough understanding of testing principles and theories and must have the ability to apply those theories and principles to real world situations.
In addition, the successful candidate will:
- Work independently to meet constant deadlines and develop work plans for test development and test administration;
- Possess an understanding of the significance of test development and potential impacts;
- Work in a team environment to gain trust and build credibility with subject matter experts and candidates;
- Have a strong customer service orientation with the ability to interact effectively with many levels of staff;
- Express ideas articulately verbally and in writing to a variety of audiences;
- Comprehend, and follow best practices, policies and procedures, and professional standards related to job analysis, test development and administration;
- Have the ability to look at situations from multiple perspectives, break problems into component parts, and organize components in a systematic way;
- Create solutions to problems using novel methods and processes, look for underlying causes, and think through the consequences of different courses of action;
- Possess an exceptional attention to detail and strong research, organizational and planning skills; and
- Have a working proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word, Excel, and Access.
To apply visit https://careers.arlingtonva.us/ and click on “Apply Now”.